Tipping City


We've seen them all... "Tipping is not a city in China", "Tips are appreciated", "Beer Fund", "Boats can tip, so can you", etc. and other creative ways to create/capture value with the innovative containers utilized as tip jars for employees at restaurants and other places. I can't help but wonder, having worked in such establishments, what a marketing ploy! Before you get on the defensive, I understand a lot of people are underpaid, overworked, under appreciated, and rely on tips to build revenue and pay bills, take care of families, etc. I try to tip well, at least 20%+, especially when someone performs a service above and beyond the norm. Why not, make their day you know! But, requesting a tip for nothing?! Interesting! I am going to put a tip jar on my car door, shirts, etc. and see if people tip me for tipping's sake - okay, probably not, ha.


My challenge is tipping for tipping's sake. For instance, I was ordering a sandwich from one of my favorite places today, and the gentleman clearly was dissatisfied with his position there, and life overall. I make it a point to say hello, be extra cheerful, and inquire something about him to connect on a more positive level for him. He still is upset, no matter how most people are to him (I think of how we are not forced to be in certain places in life, no one holds a gun to our head, why not transition, but I am well aware from personal experience of how difficult that may be, and we all have our own story). I am supposed to tip for this? NO!

I wonder if tipping jars are purposely filled with money to make us feel compelled to donate due to the fact that others have placed money in there?! Is this a secret marketing strategy? Would someone actually place dinero in there to inspire donations?! Certainly so! My survey and analysis showed the amazing discovery that 75% of restaurants have tip jars that are purposely filled to inspire donations! Of course, I surveyed four restaurants, and this is limited to the Cincinnati area and demographic, but it's a stat and looks good, so I provide this eye opening phenomenon.


And for verification, there is a standard for tipping (now it's 20%, used to be 15% a few years ago), there is a book "Tipping Point" , and there is not a Tipping City in China - but is a 'Tiping'! It's not about tipping in these regards, and always have some cash to tip bellhops, taxi cab drivers, servers, and other folks who rely on tipping to fuel their standard of living out of respect. I urge you though, that if someone is not happy or angry with their job, tip, but provide a nice note on a napkin or receipt that they earned the tip from their work - not their attitude, and you seek to inspire them to be happier, have a more positive attitude creatively, express your gratitude for them assisting you - stop expecting so much, but if they're flat out rude - keep the tip in your pocket! You get what you give right?! Not all the time, we don't know their story and what's causing their disgruntlement. Be kind, rise above, and remember, make "Tipping" a city in your heart!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brian, just curious... when you say:

"I urge you though, that if someone is not happy or angry with their job, tip, but provide a nice note on a napkin or receipt that they earned the tip from their work - not their attitude..."

Have you done this before?

I like your idea.

I'm a sucker for tipping everyone 20% at a minimum, whether they did a good job or not. Mainly because I don't know their story... they may be going through some rough times, feeling down on their luck, etc.

I just may try your idea out.
Brian Siegel said…
Nick Wright - Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have done this several times. The last time I recall, I was at Applebee's in West Chester, OH. Our server was obviously dissatisfied with her job, and very frustrated before even reaching our table - once she got there. As human nature's first reaction was, "Where's the service", I reminded myself, "You don't know her situation, you're not starving, things happen...". I was with some leadership from work, and they were complaining, and I urged them to see it in a different picture. I asked the waitress for a napkin and pen before we left our table, causing a bit of frustration due to her having to go back to the bar.

I wrote on the napkin (don't recall exactly, but you'll get the point) - "I thank you for your service, seems you're upset over something, I will pray that you have a better day, and things will go better for you. Apologies if we were difficult customers. Some things that help me are quotes, breathing, and staying positive with focus on better things. "How we react to obstacles defines our identity". Hope all goes better, and thanks for your time.

Other times I just write thanks, and a quote, or something they did that was different, or compliment their skills. It really leaves an impact, and all positive from what I have seen (usually gone before I see their reaction, I like the mystery behind it, but can't imagine it would make them upset). Most think it would be silly because they're "just a server", you know! People are more than what they do and consume.

I am a 'sucker' as well (I prefer 'kind' vs. sucker, ha), wanting to pay forward joy, and try to look at tipping as an art, a sort of tithe, or way of helping someone, glad I am not the only one, ha.

If the service was just plain bad, food horrible, or depending on how you were treated, I say - a note would suffice as a learning lesson in place of 'free' unearned money
: )
Anonymous said…
Good stuff Brian.

I may try your idea out, of writing on a napkin. I try to pass joy along in line at Kroger when speaking with the cashier... or in a garage downtown when paying a parking attendant.

It's time to pass it on to waiters too.

Popular Posts