Homeless For Half a Day - Day 3







Strategic Social Experiment - heartprints inc.



I begin my day thinking about the kindness of those who have been humble to listen to my experiment, as well as those who provided support such as the apples, resources for help, and just taken the time to say hello or even smile during this journey. I am beginning to understand that life is not about a high level corporate job, a $40,000 car, or material items, but through my interactions, realizing that it is about people and relationships. Of course, that does not pay the bills. So, I am motivated to obtain assistance, and find resources that can close the gaps from where I reside to what I need.

I think of the need for better awareness for food, water, shelter, transportation, phone, cash assistance, health products, medical, dental, and other "basic needs" resources. I think of how these efforts will integrate my learning's into a guide that provides this information. It exists in various forms, but bringing light to these resources with better unification inspires me. Also, knowing it will help others, motivates my drive to make positive impact and connect with our community.

I go to my appointment set by Hamilton County Job and Family Services. I arrive around 9:30AM. They warn me that there may be a two hour wait until I see a case worker. I sign in, and await my number to be called. I am glad I arrived early as the lines begin to mount beyond insanity. 11AM hits, and I go up to the desk and ask if I was skipped over, as I have seen everyone that I was sitting with be called. She checks the records, and says I am not a "no show", and am on the docket. I tell her I have to go feed the meter and I will be back.

Upon my return, I inform the same worker I am back, and made sure I did not get called. She said I did not, and was fine. 11AM turns into 12:30PM. I ask again, "What is going on, am I going to be called?!". She said yes, then went to lunch. I sat down, and was beginning to get restless. The seats are uncomfortable, and it's a sad environment. I over hear stories of family members going to prison, people addicted to drugs, mothers letting their kids wander off without guidance, and people blaming all their issues on others, and also there to get what they can. Not everyone was negative, a lot of people just need some temporary help, and are committed to getting back on their feet. I thought of all the stories behind the sad faces, and thought of my experiment. I also thought to myself, "What the heck, it is now 2PM!". I went up again, and 3 rounds of patrons in the same room as me were all seen. I asked to see the manager. Turns out that the worker messed up, and I could have been seen at 11AM. What?! I wasted hours that I could have utilized to get a job, find out about other assistance, etc. and here I sit, because of a worker's mistake.

I was furious, but this would get me no where. My frustration clear on my face, as I wear my emotions on my sleeve. The case worker explained the situation, and I admired my patience, as well as my dedication to this cause. I gained a lot of information. I found out if I lost my job, I would get about $325 a week in unemployment. This would not even cover my mortgage. I explained and laid out my bills in detail. She said, "Sorry, you are not eligible for food assistance, because if you get this unemployment, you will make too much!". What?! Wow! How would I pay utilities, my school loans, and for food?! One has to pick and choose where these small amounts of funds, great as the assistance is, will go.

I am reminded of the mortgage assistance options. You do this, you lose that. You get that, you lose this. It seems all the assistance programs help, but to what degree? You have those who unfortunately abuse the system without integrity, and those who really need the help and are working hard to improve their lives, but don't get enough assistance to move forward. Irony. It seems that if you work hard, have a degree, save for and purchase a home and achieve the "American Dream", if you are subjected to the challenging economy through the scenario I provided, you will barely get by, if at all.

After leaving there, another challenge arose. My back started to hurt. Seems all those rocks I moved yesterday at my house came back to haunt me. Normally I could call my Dr., but what if I had no insurance?! What do you do, where do you go...?

Comments

Ed Burghard said…
Another service to be aware of is www.OhioMeansJobs.com. It is a site that contains a list of job openings for job seekers to explore and allows you to post a resume so prospective employers can find you. There are about 80,000 jobs being recruited for. This website is underutilized and can offer hope to a subset of Ohio's unemployed.
Brian Siegel said…
Ed: Thank you for your comment, and also sharing this resource.

Ironically I have added this to the "heartprints help guide" which is pulling together resources, assistance, and organizations that can assist with jobs, financial assistance, food, clothing, shelter, basic needs, education, counseling, legal assistance, health care, insurance, medical, dental, and other information to help youth, families, and our communities.

This will be able to be handed out to people from the homeless to laid off Executives.

It is in Phase III of integration of the design/layout with the listings, and we're working on pulling together general content to add more information.

Thank you for all the work you are doing up in Columbus, OH, and hope to have you on "Board" in an Advisory Capacity!

Popular Posts