Home Depot vs. Lowes



VS.









I have made my choice between who I prefer between Home Dept and Lowes. My consumer experience and insight today may sway your decision as well.

I needed to move a King sized bed. I miss my truck, and need to get another one soon, so until then, I needed to locate something that would accommodate my project.

I utilize Home Depot due to location, but due to having been given a $25 gift card to Lowes, I decided to try them out.

I call two stores, they both say that they do not have rentals, then I finally locate a truck at the Lowes off Colerain. I called and spoke to a gentleman who stated, "I have one, no one's rented it all day, I can't hold it for you, but sure it will be here when you arrive". I take stock, and gamble this risk.

30 min. later, I arrive, and had to ask for someone to assist me in the rentals department. The lady unkindly asked, "What do you need?". I stated I had spoken to (insert name here) and he had a truck I could rent for a couple hours.

She said, "Okay, let me get someone to help you". Another gentleman, not the one I spoke with on the phone, said it was there, available, and asked for my drivers license and proof of insurance. He then asked, "What are you hauling?". I said I needed it to moved a bed. He replied, "You have to buy something to use our truck". I placed a key chain on the desk that was in a box of a thousand on the counter, said, "Here you go, lets get rolling!".

His reply was, "You have to buy supply". I am still yet to figure out what that is defined as truly, but assuming I would need to fill up the truck with lumber, dry wall, or other large items to be considered a "buying customer".

I asked for cash back for my gift card, and that I would go somewhere else. He then called his manager. The manager was told, in front of me, that "I have a customer that is asking me to break our rules and policy for our truck rental... and also wants cash for his gift card"... I interjected and remarked, "I never asked you to break any rules or policies sir".

He got off the phone, said they could not give me the truck, nor my cash for the card. I traveled 45 minuted out of my way, wasted time, gas, and energy to hear something they could have mentioned on the phone.

On top of this, they did not succeed on gaining my loyal customer service, nor was I appreciated in any way. Not one time during the customer service experience from entering to exiting the facility did anyone smile, ask if I needed assistance, how they could help, or go beyond their policies to figure out what I needed to accomplish, or how they could help.

"That's the policy, sorry". Is this how you grow your client base, build revenue, and improve customer relations? It's about building a long term (sustainable) customer through kind and caring information gathering, and also asking/inquiring as to how you can be of value and service to them.

In this case, they chose to not only ignore all these basic customer service "codes" for Development purposes, but felt is more appropriate for them to have a truck sit un-utilized, and although they had the capacity to put their resources to work, would rather shove a customer out their door unhappy, as well as allow equipment to go unused.

I then called Home Depot off Glenway on the West side. They said their van was out for the moment, but all their locations had a van. He put me on the list to be called, but the customer had just left to utilize the van to move a couch, and I had an hour to gain access to one of their vehicles before their deadline. Although he didn't seem too caring about my situation, I am an educated consumer and also am near the Home Depot off Ridge Rd., so I called them. No one answered the phones when transferred, so I took the risk to go there and the van be available.

Luckily, they had their van available, and I had the ball rolling as soon as I got there. The only hold up was that the credit card machine was not processing due to computer issues, or I would have been out of there in 5 minutes. It took around 15 min., but I gained access to a van in less than the driving time to Colerain, and was on the road. On top of that, the employees there greeted me with a smile, and assisted me immediately.

Both corporate home repair juggernauts has flaws in their customer service process, but the bottom line is we are all in a time crunch, and need our resources immediately. I accessed my needed equipment through Home Depot, I didn't need to purchase thousands of dollars of supply, then on top of that have to purchase a van rental, and they treated me like a person who had a project and they cared vs. a nuisance.

Customers fuel your revenue, growth, and business overall. Without them, your business dies. I hope Lowes utilizes this example to capture and create enhances value and approach with every customer who enters the doors from the parking lot, whether they merely call and need information, purchase a water, or thousands of dollars of supply for a large contract or home project. Treat every customer as if they are buying materials to build a new home, as each purchase and interaction is far more important to the individual customer than these corporations may state they realize, but lack action upon.

It is about the experience, and also relationships. Be available, be kind, be patience, and you will be successful. You may not swipe a credit card purchase for a large amount, but you will incrementally gain access to a customer's lifestyle, and they will integrate you into their purchasing patterns for current and future needs, as well as word of mouth referrals.

Do NOT make your customers pull teeth, sacrifice time, and struggle to gain insight and access to their needs, then ice the cake by allowing them to leave the door frustrated and empty handed, unless you want your competitors to "Thank You" for being their best Development Officers!

Marketing | Branding | Innovation | Development

www.siegelinnovations.com



I give Lowes "5 frowny faces down"!

Comments

Lowes Hardware said…
Admit it...you were too cheap to go to a truck rental company. The rental trucks are for customers buying products. So what if the truck sat there all day? It's there for the buying customers. Enjot the homo depot..moron
Brian Siegel said…
My anonymous posting random behind a digital mask: This was shared with several Lowes contacts, as I am certain they would love to also see what messaging you're pumping out to the masses/consumers. Enjoy, or as you say, 'Enjot'.

Lowes PR/Communications Team \ Social Media Strategist \ those concerned: Per below >> Is this who you hire, or have out there channeling 'social media' messaging for your company? If so, I encourage you to reassess who you invest funds with to inspire an engaging participation with by way of your business. Ironically, I do this for a living, as well as lead a non profit.

I am not certain that you want your Lowes Brand being defamed by advocates (you may or may not be aware of) calling consumers "morons", "cheap", disrespectful and insensitive play on words of "Homo" Depot, let alone misspelling works like "Enjoy", which ironically I attempted to do while being shoved along without care via your staff/company.

Let me know if you want this public information shared with my network of over 20,000 people, let alone their tertiary network. It will not help positively impact your Brand Identity, but rather diminish the integrity of your efforts, by a few simple inappropriate comments.

I eagerly await your response, with fervor, and interest. Interestingly, I put together strategies for companies to improve the interaction with consumers to companies (radical "C2B" vs. the traditional models of B2B and B2C).

Happy Holidays to you and your families, and Blessings.

Sent with gratitude.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the info. I am reseaching to buy a gift card for a co-worker. This made up my mind....Home Depot...
Brian Siegel said…
My pleasure.

Happy Holidays!

Popular Posts