The Day That Frankie Died

The Day That Frankie Died, … Almost 12/17/07
RIP 3/27/09







12/17/07

Well, it’s been two days now since the ordeal. I am still managing my despair, and management of the chaotic and heroic circumstances that occurred. I was in my kitchen, changing the water to Frankie’s bowl when it happened. It was like any normal transaction between the fish bowl to the cup for the fish, but today was different. Frankie, perhaps frustrated at his confines from freedom, saw an opening for escape, and seized the day. “Carpe Diem” his eyes bulged and body plunged for the sink. Like a dog not looking before running across the street, unaware of cars, focused on one vision, he leaped and detoured from the cup he was destined for! Franked maneuvered his body, and directed himself at an angle that defied physics, towards the disposal! Yes, the disposal. The disposal was not the freedom I think Frankie was aiming for, and the company of various items such as chopped up onions, tomatoes, and other miscellaneous items creating a habitat clearly not suited for a fish, awaited to engulf him.

In a state of emergency, and sense of urgency, I sought to rescue Frankie from the confines of this environment that was suffocating and surely scaring him! I put my hand into the disposal, not thinking of anything but getting him back to safety. I couldn’t see him, so I moved to feel around for him. I would grasp him, and he would squirm away, shooting further from me each time his muscles and actions escaped me. Now the materials in the disposal were moving around at my attempts of rescue. I felt a lost hope, yet toiled tirelessly to find him. I found a tool, a spoon, and moved items to unbury him, and try to at least continue the rescue efforts. At this time, 5 minutes have passed, and Frankie was in an environment not suited for him. Obstacles, sharp objects, food, dirt, were all like poison for him. I dug gently, moved things around, and stuck my hand into the dangerous area again, risking my safety for Frankie yet again. For several minutes I tried and tried to pull him to safety. I knew he needed water for his gills, so I flooded the disposal to revive, resuscitate him to maintain the efforts. I attempted to flood it so he would rise, and sort himself from the other items and I could locate him. It didn’t work.

I couldn’t give up. I kept pouring water over him in hopes that the water was reaching him, and he was fighting for him like I was. At this time, ten minutes had passed. Imagine not breathing for ten minutes! What would happen to you?! I started to wonder if he could make it, and even thought of giving up. Surely he was gone, and I was going to lay him to rest by letting him peacefully pass, then run the disposal. But, while pouring the rocks from the bowl into a colander to clean and sort, a rock fell into the disposal. While reaching to get the rock out of the disposal with my hand due to the tools like the spoon couldn’t get a hold of it, I noticed Frankie! He was there in my view, and hanging onto life, so he couldn’t squirm and jump away. Was he alive? Could he be revived? Just when I thought of giving up, I persevered again to bring him back! I had to strategize! I had to keep him alive and persevere!

I immediately placed him in a cup of water, put solution with new water in the bowl, and rushed to place him in the bowl! He started to move! By now it had been 15 minutes! Me hanging on, putting water in the cold dark area he was in, and all the efforts had paid off! Would he make it? Had it been too much for him to survive? At least he could pass peacefully in the bowl if he had to. I put some food in the bowl, said words of encouragement to him, and willed him to get better. His bills dirty, fins cut, and swimming erratic, I wondered if he could make it… I checked on him, watching his small frame swim around, wishing him luck, and thinking of the will, efforts, not giving up, and hoped he would survive. He would send messages of scare by floating like a fish would when dying. I woke up the next morning, and checked on him before work. He was alive! He was swimming in a lively manner, I fed him, and he was back!

I didn’t give up on him. He tried to seek another place, where the grass was greener, but it wasn’t. He needed support, and I was willing to be there. He had been in a place full of obstacles, changing life, and surrounded by obstacles. I could’ve given up, not used quick thinking and action, and tried other ways to save him. He could’ve passed on, but held on. Here’s to you Frankie!

3/27/09

“Frankie The Fish” died 3/27/09 at approximately 2:30PM EST. He, like me, was so stubborn that even in death he did not float to the top of the bowl. He was a fighter, survivor, and my friend. He was also a great listener and swimmer. He is survived by no one, and did not leave any memoirs, will, or testament, as he merely lived by example. You will be missed Frankie.


Brian Siegel
Brian.Siegel@yahoo.com
www.siegelinnovations.com
www.heartprints.org

Comments

Popular Posts