Dancing With The Stars!

'Dance with the stars' a different way!




Things to do in Cincinnati, OH: Today I visited Cincinnati's Observatory. Like many folks who live somewhere a while, you sometimes pass by what seems like part of the landscape, but in all actuality is a rare treasure to experience right in your own backyard. I like to frequent Ault Park (another great place I recommend spending time!) to enjoy nature, run, or hang out with friends, and always pass the Observatory, but today decided to investigate it a bit more.




When entering, I heard people behind the door, and in an unusual moment, thought before opening the door, as I usually approach/confront somewhere I would like to be immediately. Entering the Observatory, I noticed folks more than willing to share the history, famous names associated with it, and colorful tid bits in an engaging/entertaining manner about the Cincinnati landmark. Immediately, a volunteer by the name of Marilyn was more than willing to share her excitement and knowledge about the place. She toured us around the two telescopes in both buildings, introduced us to another volunteer, a PhD professor at Mt. Saint Joseph College, who was very entertaining, and quizzed us about information related to astronomy.




He first approached me, asking, "Where are you right now, and how would you go about locating stars", he asked. "Well, figuring the Earth is going about 700mph, I would configure a strategy to be in line with the north star, so I feel we should work with that", I responded. He was impressed, but I had to share that Marilyn blessed me with this knowledge. He provided insight about the telescopes (one I compare to a finely tuned Les Paul or beautifully hand crafted piece of furniture, shared that 'metaphor', and he responded, "it's like enjoying the music of the stars", yeah a little cheesy, but sometimes you have to enjoy the delicately delightful details that life offers such as these moments and opportunities provided), how it refracted light, best times to view the stars, how astronomers utilize 'right ascension and declination' vs. longitude and latitude, and other interesting knowledge related to the Observatory and astronomy. (*note: I am not, nor do I claim to be an astronomer or of their intelligence by sharing what I learned, but more to show the fun stuff I gained while having fun at a cool place, ha)


.

The folks were passionate, we discovered they have wine events, other gatherings, and even offer their location for weddings/parties. I also urge you to visit this interesting place, or even take a date there, as it is a fun and interesting place where you can relax and do something different, let along 'free' during these economically challenging times! Check out 'astronomy nights' when you can view the stars. Also, great for families, classes/schools, youth, and doing something not only educational, but fun!




It was enjoyable, reminded me of going on a field trip while in school as a kid, only I didn't have to be there, which made it more fun (as most things in life), there was a nostalgia about the place due to it's history, dusty old books, old dusty scientific tools on large library shelves, the building's circular shape and structure, cool movable roofs, giant telescopes, knowledgeable volunteers, and the potential to engage with events, wine tastings, and other interesting things they have done to gather people together and 'community'. I couldn't help to be motivated with metaphors with thoughts of "If we're traveling at 700mph, that means time/the Earth don't stop, so even if we're at a stand still, we're really not at a stop/stuck, as the world keeps on going at such a rapid rate, things change" etc. you get the point, had to share, ha!. You can't help to appreciate the time, ideas, innovation, and all the other details it took to create such a place, as well as the people that made such a landmark happen. I hope you visit, and feel the same energy, inspire some metaphoric insights (probably more for me so I am not alone there, ha), appreciate the 'astronomy' about the place, and share it with others. I encourage you to check it out, make sure it's a clear night, view some stars, share it with friends, family, and others, and have a relaxing fun time!

Comments

Brian,

Thanks for posting about your trip to the Observatory today. You are so right, we have some treasures here in our city that we sometimes forget about. I will have to check it out sometime soon!

Michelle
Brian - I've lived here all my life and never knew we had an observatory. Hidden treasure indeed. And it sounds like a good place for a mentoring event for, gee, I don't know - maybe heartprints? Thanks for pointing the way to the stars.
Barb

Popular Posts