No soup for you? Not this time!

Buy of the Week
So I am a bit under the weather, and was shopping at the 'one stop shop' for everything you could ever want at smiley faced every day low prices, Wal Mart, purchasing items to winterize my home. While wandering around the center aisles (I like to start there at times to break the mundane way stores subconsciously guide you around the store to buy more, but in this case, backfired, ha), I noticed a sign with huge numbers saying only $.35! I was intrigued, what was this mystery item for such a low price?! SOUP! Not off brand no name soup, but Campbell's Chicken Noodle, perfect for my flu like symptoms with it's magical powers, and also Tomato Soup, a great collaboration for making grilled cheese, the combo potent against any flu! So, I stocked up! The strategy of erratically entering the shopping scene to break the matrix retailers utilize to entrap you into consuming more goods was a failure on my part.


I like to think I am an educated consumer, and perception is at times reality, so I felt I hit a gold mine here! No one else was partaking in the mining with me, so I kept loading up. Was this too good to be true, purchasing an item for what is usually $1.00 if you see the 'yellow tagged' sale item at your local Kroger or Ralph's grocery, and normally priced at $1.49?! The more I thought about it, was I victimizing Wal Mart, or were they breaking even on an item that was so old if it moved from inventory they were satisfied?! I spoke with Tom Pharr of Dunnhumby a few weeks ago discussing consumer research/insight strategies & ways to create & capture value. I recalled how companies thrive by focusing on their top 20% of volume/purchasing customers, and to entice consumers to visit a location, and get them in the store, they would under price items, actually losing money (in our example, Bleach) to inspire other purchases such as fabric softener, detergent, etc. but retailers feared & even disliked a consumer such as myself, purchasing large sums of only the under priced product. Deal!

So, go to the Wal Mart off Ridge Rd. if you're in Cincinnati, OH and get your soup on!

Comments

Popular Posts