Quiet Shoes

Leading Softly, By Example, and Walking With Others...
a quiet revolution in your 'soles' (couldn't resist, ha)



I was working for a moving company, leading teams, and various projects. My boss, depending on the day, would either wear loud boots that you could hear when traveling through the hallways, or soft scooting penny loafers that you could not hear. He would wear the loud shoes on the days that customers were on our sites so we would know when he would be walking around the halls near your sites with the client(s). He would wear the quiet shoes when we were on site and clients were not. This was so he could bust people if they were sleeping on the job. We had a saying, as most have utilized this, "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean". Well, he was looking for people who evidentally wanted to clean! I was always (and still am) above ground, heart beating, and moving my feet. I would create tasks to improve the site, and projects that everyone could utilize their time and capabilities efficiently.


Keep moving, and stay driven. Simple. I recall the "quiet shoes" management task to implment into my leadership perspectives. "Wear the right shoes". I thought, should one wear loud shoes, quiet shoes, or both as a leader? I think one should wear quiet shoes consistently, and build into/develop their people with integrity, coaching/mentoring, and time to not have to wear 'loud' shoes! Heck, don't wear shoes at all! It's more than the shoes, it's about communication proactively before having to walk around and terrorize others with wonder about where the boss is, if they're sneaking to check on you big brother style, or being so loud you know when to step it up. Step it up constantly!



How do you step? What kinds of shoes do you wear? You get the metaphors, and one can wear the wrong fit, old comfortable shoes, be loud and colorful, or calm and traditional... Will you change your shoes, how you walk, run, and lead? Time to put on your running shoes, 'run by example' (quietly), develop others, communicate, and step it up! Move your feet, find the right fit/shoes, lace 'em up, and lead!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brian,

Great post! Made me think of a Seinfeld episode I once saw, where Elaine gave a "soft-walking" co-worker a pack of Tic Tacs so he couldn't sneak up on her. (I know, that was random.)

I've recently tightened the laces on my dress shoes, and am trying my best to lead my team at work. I'm green when it comes to being a leader in the workplace, but I'm ready to run.

Nick Wright

Popular Posts